OCW 670 Goals
- To encourage safe and respectful dialogue among community members and our local government about all current and proposed military planning in the Marianas.
- Provide community members with information about military planning and events that are clear, concise and easy to understand on multiple platforms (including radio, Facebook, Instagram, website).
- Promote policy changes that address the need for a de-escalation of militarization in the Marianas.
- Create a greater awareness of the links between militarization and self-government; including how our historical ties to the United States are based on a Covenant agreement created by BOTH the CNMI and US, so that we recognize our bargaining power in this relationship.
- To promote a deeper understanding of how militarism affects the cultural and physical sustainability of our people by creating economic and social dependency and unhealthy environments that are not suitable for healthy living.
- To educate ourselves about how covenant provisions, particularly section 802 pertain to national defense so that we are better prepared to exercise our right to self-government during military negotiations.
- To create awareness of how the effects of militarism are unequally distributed by race, gender and socioeconomic status (SES) and as a result, those with lower SES, minorities, women and children are more likely to suffer from the detrimental consequences of ensuing health disparities, pollution, contamination and abuse.